Monday, June 9, 2008

Milkman Tri: "Would Recommend to a Friend"

So, I've never written a race report, but I wanted to share a few thoughts about the Milkman Tri held this past Saturday in Dexter, NM. You say, "Where is Dexter, NM?" Good question. It's pretty much out in the middle of nowhere, just past Roswell. Kim, Jeri and I pondered more than once how this race got started in such a remote location, but that being said, I have to say that it was one of the most fun, well-organized races I've done. It was very hot and windy which is apparently abnormal for this race so the course was probably more challenging than normal too. But, it's always nice to do an actual open water swim on a sprint-tri, something that is hard to find in this area. The bike course was relatively flat with a couple rollers toward the turn-around and the run was dry, dusty and hot but was also nice and flat. Fun course, good people, relaxed atmosphere, family-friendly environment, and one I would definitely make the trip to do again.
A few funny observations:
- the woman in my swim wave pointing out the big sign that's posted at the dock that states "No Swimming Allowed"
- knowing I could stand up if I needed to during the open water swim
- "Tyler from Texas" giving a very animated report about almost running into a cow crossing the road on his bike leg
- people talking about seeing a rattlesnake on the bike course and worrying about snakes on the run leg (part of the run is on a jeep trail through fields), myself included
- passing the farmer on the tractor who was helping direct people on the course and the farmer on the ATV checking on people during the bike leg
- having a 39 sec. T2 (I was right by the entrance/exit of the bike/run leg but ya' gotta take what you can, right?)
- being asked in regards to our new uniforms, "Are you one of THOSE?" and thumbing toward Clay. Here is a uniform shot:

- being asked if our club "kicked the Outlaws butt?"
- the cool and unique ceramic milk jug awards--my first top ten finish! Here are most of the top 10 women demoing the milk jug awards:

- seeing the "Best of the US" banner on the awards podium with big pics. of Clay and Dina on it--so cool!
- seeing baby cows at the festival afterward and enjoying all the free frozen treats, of course :)
- meeting some new tri folks from around the state and Texas
See you next year for sure!

1 comment:

rubyredhead said...

I'm already signed up for this one. . .now I'm even more enthused! See you there. . .