Sunday, June 22, 2008

How *not* to do a Triatomics Cochiti Lake brick

The brick workout at Cochiti Lake sounded like a lot of fun and I needed some open water swim practice and to get used to my wetsuit again. So, I was in. My husband Mike had to attend a gathering in Santa Fe on Saturday evening for a departing coworker, so we loaded up the dogs and camper, headed down to Santa Fe, and then went to the campgrounds at Cochiti Lake after the going-away celebration. Settled in at a great campsite, beautiful night, slept really well . . .

Headed down to the boat docks at 7:30 AM. No sign of anyone. By 8:15 AM, I walk back up the hill to try to get some phone service. I don't have anyone's phone number, but I call Mike to see if he can see any swimmers from the overlook. Mike takes a look through the binoculars and thinks he sees a group of swimmers. Crap. I'm apparently in the wrong place! Oh, well. My fault. No reason to not get some open water swim practice in. Mike nicely agrees to come down and watch out for me in the water from shore. (We didn't bring the little inflatable boat with us as his newly plated collarbone is still healing and he cannot do the oars.) So, I put on my wetsuit. Dang! Before I know it, I've torn a 4 inch gash on the side. No matter. I swim back and forth for a bit. Probably just 1/2 hour or so. Decide to ride the bike out. I clip in, wait for a car to pass, and then, start to ride. I think. I don't know what I did, but I struggled for a second to unclip and then I'm landing on my elbow and hip. Double dang! I take a quick survey. Doesn't look too bad, just a little chunk out of my elbow, a blue knot on my arm, and some soreness on my hip bone. I think, "If I can get the shift hood moved back into the proper position, I can still do a ride. You're not hurt." Just to be extra careful since I'm covered in lake water, I decide to go back to the campsite to clean out the wounds. Since I've missed everyone, anyway, I decide to hang out with Mike before going back on the bike. He cooks a fabulous breakfast. After about 20 minutes since the fall, I then realize my iPhone and water bottle must have fallen out of my jersey (while Gu and everything else stayed in) when I fell.

Triple dang!

I rush down the hill and find my water bottle near the crash. No iPhone. Vanished! Someone must have picked it up as its guts were not all over the road. Not worried about the money as much as the personal data on it. Yikes!

So, I think I've consumed all the bad karma for Cochiti Lake bricks for the club for the season. Go ahead and enjoy! :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, so sorry to hear that! And total bummer about the iPhone! What are the chances!!

Clay said...

Triple Dang is right, Cyndi! I'm so sorry you had a bad day out there. It's usually a great way to spend the weekend and have a lot of fun training. Hmm...we'll have to try it again!