Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Wednesday Track Workout 5/21/08

With legs that are a little tired from the previous evening's time trial, it'll be a little tough to feel good for Wednesday track workout. But, the benefits will be great with some rest afterward.

Since I suffered such a defeat last week trying to mimic my best 5k times for the 1,200 meter intervals, I think I'll suggest what Jeff Johnson mentioned in his comments to my post about having so much trouble making my target times. He's correct to say that you can still make big gains by going under your top 5k times in intervals, but still being above your lactate threshold (LT), which is not so hard to do. Just make it a little bit uncomfortable with some harder breathing, and you'll probably be there.

So today, I'm going to suggest going a little shorter and perhaps not quite so hard as your goal 5km pace. Let's try this:

  • 800m warmup w/ last 200m pickup
  • 4 or 5 x 1,000m (2.5 laps) at LT or just over (probably your goal 5km pace time + 10% to 15%)

My goal 5km time is approx. 16:20 right now. That would make it 3:16 per 1,000m. That's much too fast for how I feel, so I'm going to add 30 seconds (~15%) and make my target interval 3:45 and try to negative split it each time by just a little and get down to something like a 3:35 by the end. I should feel good on the first one, as it'll be right at my LT (you run a race 5km at quite a bit over your LT...more at your anaerobic threshold, or AT), and then I'll gradually increase it more toward my AT, but still staying well below that.

Hope this helps you with your workout. Good luck!

No comments: