Monday, May 12, 2008

A Mighty Wind (almost)

The Jay Benson triathlon was held this past Sunday, and Los Alamos had a great showing for the race.  On Saturday, the winds were as furious as my mother when I didn't pick up my Legos, and Sunday's forecast didn't look any better.  Luckily, race morning was very calm (relatively) and made for a fast race.  Most of the club members (looking at you Laurie) showed off our new club uniforms, and are they bright!  Clay took 2nd and Jeff took 5th overall.  That's two in the top 5 from LA!  Amy, Laurie, and Frank took 1st in their age group (did I miss anyone?).  Ted's son, Nathan, had the fastest run, at 16:39, but couldn't hold onto the lead on the bike.  Although, this was the first time he rode his bike this year.  

I had my PR for the course, despite the swim and run.  My bike was the fastest I've ever had in a race; jeez, considering what I paid for the new bike, I better have!  The lack of swim training showed in the water.  Between 200 and 300 meters, I wasn't swimming, as much as I was simply flailing my arms.  Luckily, the life guards didn't think that I was drowning.  All in all, it was a great race, and a good start to the season.

1 comment:

Dinka said...

Rob, good job on the PR! You looked great out there in the uniform - its a bummer I didnt catch you for any pix especially on the new bike. Next time we'll have to get people together for a group shot pre-race so we can see everyone in the uniforms.
And to be fair to Laurie, he did wear his Triatomics bike jersey before the race and at the awards! :)