Wednesday, May 14, 2008

RE: Wed. Track Workout

Ooof, sometimes the matador wins; sometimes the bull wins. In this case, the bull won.

That metaphor is from a Spanish joke, but it applied today if the bull represented all things conspiring against me feeling good in training today. It seems that my blah stretch is continuing a bit and it showed on the track workout today. Those numbers I posted for myself are usually quite reasonable and pretty easily attainable on the track, but nothing doin' today. It was windy, chilly and a bit drizzly, but that shouldn't have accounted for being as off as I was. I saw only one 1:22 lap all day and was mostly in the 1:25 to 1:27 range. That is a lot.

I was happy to negative split every interval, but I still ended up being over 15 seconds off of goal pace the fastest one. I stuck it out, though. Sometimes you gotta keep going and make a few adjustments.

Guess I'll take a couple of days off of running and put it in neutral to coast through until Sunday. Hopefully, the moist weather will help clear up some allergies and help me to feel back to normal again. Until then.....

See ya out there!

1 comment:

salty said...

Jeff tip o the week: remember, you can make large gains by running at threshold pace, a pace that is 20 seconds per mile slower than your 5k pace. You just need to make sure you maintain even pacing throughout the work out....don't know your 5k time, run a timed 4k (10 laps) on the track at even or decending pace, that will be around your race day 5k pace.