Wednesday, April 9, 2008

SuperFrog Race Report from Frank

This just in from Frank Cherne:

Open ocean swim, sea breezes (headwinds/tailwinds) for the bike, and sandy beach run is what was laid before me for my training race for my upcoming Ironman in Coeur-d’alene, Idaho. This was the thirtieth year for the half-ironman race entitled the Super-frog. The field was not too crowded with approximately 160 finishers. According to the brochures for the race this race was not for the faint of heart with the springtime Pacific Ocean temperatures being on the order of 60 degrees. My only race objective was to follow my ironman racing strategy (design assisted by Martin Pieck) and survive the open ocean swim. Well these objectives were met with very satisfactory results. I came away from my battle with the surf, seaweed entanglements having completed the task of swimming without requiring the assistance of the lifeguards, without deviating too far from the course. Note I had watched a lady from two waves ahead of me be pulled out of the ocean before I started. The bike course although it was nice and flat the sea breezes set the flags on end in line with the course so one way was met with a headwind and one way a tailwind. When off the bike again you had the wind at your face or at your tail for most of the race. The run course ran a significant length of the beach before turning inland across loose sand and gravel onto the local naval station base.

How did I fair? Less calories consumed over the distance, personal best run time for the distance, and a confidence builder for me.

The course consisted of 2 loops on the swim, 4 loops on the bike, and 2 loops for the run. If a person is interested in exploring their ability to deal with an open ocean swim, participate in a non-USAT sanctioned event, and proceeds benefit the naval special warfare foundation (http://www.nswfoundation.org/).

No comments: