Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Best of the US 2009 -- Mission Viejo, CA

Here's my blog about the BOUS National Championship 2009 at the Orange County International Triathlon, in Mission Viejo, CA.




















Well, after all the anticipation, planning, training, special care taken, and everything else that went into getting myself (and family) to the start line of the Best of the US Championship triathlon in Mission Viejo, CA, things didn’t go quite as well as I had hoped. The trip was fun and the race experience there is always special, but my performance wasn’t up to my expectations. It’s not that I could have done a whole lot about it that day, but sometimes things just don’t work out the way you hope.

The course there is super cool, and really tough. The swim is in a very, VERY nice lake in Mission Viejo. It’s a private lake with a perfectly manicured beach, park, etc., etc. It was perfectly surveyed with laser precision, so we were told, thus the distance was supposedly a perfect 1,500 meters. It felt long to me, but more about that later!







The bike course heads out into a canyon in the foothills to the northwest of Mission Viejo – Santiago Canyon. It is a popular route, and with good reason. There is a perfect bike lane the entire way out with signs telling motorists to keep off the lane to keep it clear for cyclists. It did have a little debris here and there, but it was mostly quite clean. Terry Moore, the female NM representative from Las Cruces fell victim to something in the lane and got a flat.
The run course was really awesome, with a lot of changing topography and changes of direction. I thought it was a hard 10km to finish off a race, but some of the run times begged to differ. We re-entered the lake park and finished along the beach right along the waterfront. It was a great course, all-in-all. The only thing I didn’t like was that there were two different transition locations. T-1 and T-2 were separated by about 3 miles or so, thus making for a small logistical challenge the day before, and morning of the race…no big deal though because the organizers had good information to direct racers.

The “regular” race had about 1,000 people, plus the extra 100 spots for the BOUS athletes. That’s a pretty good sized race, and it had sold out. It made for a very festive atmosphere at this typical sunny southern California location.

Leading up to the race, things seemed to be pointing toward me having a good chance at a top-10 result. I had seemingly gotten over my mid-summer sinus/respiratory infection that had forced me to skip both Socorro and Los Alamos triathlons. I had worked my fitness back up slowly and had gotten in more miles on the bike than last year, but my swimming had suffered due to the sinus thing and I didn’t seem to have my best run speed. I worked on both once I could sustain the harder efforts, but I always had to watch it when I felt tired or congested. I didn’t want to have a recurrence of the infection.

I signed up for the F-1 triathlon in Roswell, the Tenderfoot triathlon in Salida, CO, and the Patriot Tri in Rio Rancho as three good lead-up races to blow out the pipes and practice the things I needed to have down to be competitive for the BOUS. They were saying that the swim would not be wetsuit legal, so I got one of those speed skin suits as a sponsorship deal and used it in the Tenderfoot tri. They’re weird things, for sure.

Travel is a huge challenge now, with all of the stuff to bring for Mila in addition to all of the tri gear. We did alright, but it is not easy: bike, race wheels, tri gear, car seat, toys, extra extra clothes, etc. etc. Logistics with travel is also tough, and this was made even more challenging by the coordination of visiting family in Los Angeles (two different households), then me taking off solo to Mission Viejo, then meeting back up a day later…… You get the point. But, that seemed to go fairly smoothly and I was not overly stressed prior to the race.

Only a couple of things were nagging at me: the fact that my head and chest had started to get congested again the week prior to the race. I couldn’t understand why, other than I don’t think I ever bucked that nasty infection 100%. Small vestiges of it came and went like the tides during the month previous, and the week before the weather took a nosedive and that seemed to exacerbate things right when I needed to be making some hard speed efforts to fine tune things for the race. I would rest up well, go do my hard speed training, then feel a massive influx of congestion and a really stuffy head. I also got a really badly wrenched neck from doing just little stuff around the house. I could barely turn my head after that. But, the training was still good and I even felt my run speed coming on just in time (I ran the Splash ‘n Dash / LA Tri 5km run course as a “brick” in sub-18 time the Sunday prior to the race, after doing bike intervals), so I was feeling confident.

Getting on the plane and doing all of the travel stuff must have sent my system a little over the edge, despite all of the incessant hand washing and taking Cold-Eeze, Emergenc-C, and Echinacea. I got into LA with a deep cough and somewhat clogged sinuses, and my neck was still stiff and sore. But I still didn’t feel bad, so I remained in good spirits headed toward the race. I was also having fun hanging out with Dina’s family in Los Angeles, who are SO happy to see Mila. That provided a good distraction to pre-race stress.

After driving all the way through the LA metro area to Mission Viejo, then getting out and seeing the bike, part of the run, and then finally the swim course, we had all of the pre-race hub-bub with the BOUS organization and the different racers from each of the states. There were some big names there, some of whom I recognized, but many of whom I have no earthly idea who they are. Jerry MacNeil listed all of their results, which sounded impressive. I knew this would be tough but also that if I had a good day, I would be competitive.

Dina, her sister Liza, her mom Olga, and Mila all stayed in one room, while I got an entire room to myself the night before the race…they insisted and I can’t say how grateful I am. I slept really solidly the night before and felt quite rested the morning of the race. I got out there early, but amazingly, I was already way back in line to get to the venue. That stressed me out a little, as I knew I had to get the race wheels on and get everything set at this busy venue before I was ready. The only problem I had was getting air into my tires using a borrowed pump (I need to get a better travel pump).

I got in a decent warm-up in the water; not great but good enough. Soon, we were lining up in our special “Wave-0” and getting all of the special treatment and announcements. It was all eyes on our wave as the 1000 other racers and families watched us “super triathletes” take off.

I opted to take the second row going into the water, as I knew I would just get trounced with these swimmers (men and women BOUS went all together). It was a good call. I got onto some feet, got hit and kicked for over 500 meters, then started having some breathing problems with the chest congestion. I was holding onto a group, barely, but I wasn’t about to let go. I tried coughing it out and would lose ground, but then redouble the effort to catch back on. It got to be a little too much by about the half-way point and I had to let go and try to clear my chest. For a couple of minutes I just mellowed out and concentrated on the coughing. I then pushed on solo the whole way back. I could see some people ahead of me, but I knew I had lost a LOT of time at that point. It’s amazing! I still would have had a relatively fast swim around here, but with that group, forget about it. I struggled in with a 22:02…not fast in that group. I had hoped for a 20-something or low 21.

I finally made it into T-1 and noticed all of the BOUS bikes that were all gone. I was with a couple of guys and got the heck out of there with a little bit of a slow transition, but not too bad. On the bike, I instantly started passing the stragglers from the swim, then some of the faster swimmers, then some of the faster females – I could tell how the swim went and how the women’s race was playing out. I also noticed that I had instantly caught a handful of guys, but that they were now few and far between…not a good sign. I wasn’t going super great on the bike. I was still coughing and trying to find my legs on the early long climbs of the course. I just didn’t hit it hard enough early to make up the ground I lost. It was becoming more apparent that this was not going to be a remarkable day. I also had a splitting headache for some reason; I think it was the tightness in my neck and upper back putting strain on my head and the aero helmet was not helping matters. It was really annoying and something I hadn’t experienced before.


Way out in the canyon near the "turnaround" where we detoured off the main road onto a strange bumpy road that is normally closed to any sort of traffic, I caught yet one last female…she was so far into the men’s field and had been so far ahead of me, I was just amazed. It occurred to me that if I didn’t ride and run fast, she might finish with me or beat me!

I pushed a lot harder once I was back out on the main canyon road. The hills were steeper on the way back in, so I had some clear goals and dug deep…at least for what I had to give. I think I salvaged a bad ride with those efforts on the way back in and managed to have the 8th fastest ride for all racers on the day. It was a 59:27 and I had hoped for and reasonably expected at least a low 58.

I had no idea how my body was going to react to the run, since I was clearly struggling a little. I was fearful of a 40-something minutes 10km on this really tough course. It was getting quite hot and with all of the landscape watering going on, it was also humid at ground level.

After another rough-around-the-edges transition, I was off on the run and feeling surprisingly OK, but again with headache and congestion. I ignored both and just focused on moving forward as swiftly as possible. I was completely alone for over a mile, then I heard the dreaded footsteps of the last guy I had caught out on the bike – turns out it was Jonathan Krichev from Alabama. He’s a very good triathlete from the deep Southeast (former University of Alabama swimmer), but someone I have beaten before and someone I can usually outrun, but not today. He was moving along just a little quicker than I could muster, so I stopped blowing my nose long enough to let him get by me. I tried briefly to stick with him, but decided against continuing because I have blown up every time I’ve done that at early stages of a run leg. I was on my own again and getting the feeling that I was not really part of the race.

It was like that for quite a while until we hit some really nasty hills at mile 3. I could see Krichev and a couple of others ahead, but what looked like WAY ahead. I tried to get through the hills strongly, but the heat and humidity was sapping me and I just didn’t have the punch to do what I wanted. I focused well and kept my feet moving quickly, but I knew it wasn’t 100%.

It’s tough when you know you’re having an off day, but all the training and struggle you go through to get there keeps you pushing. I had to rethink things a little bit out there and decided I would really try to catch at least one guy ahead. I caught a fleeting glimpse of who I recognized as the Arizona guy, Cam Hill. He’s also a great swimmer and it seems that every year, no matter how we’re both doing, I catch him in the finale of the run. I made that my main goal for the day and set about picking it up as best I could, no matter how much snot I got on myself or how much I was coughing. I set my sights on him and just ran faster, period.

The run course was really crazy between miles 2.5 and 5, but at the 5-mile point, we dumped out of the steep hills and twisty turns of the parks, out onto a parkway, where we did a final out-and-back on a final long hill and were all able to see where we stood relative to the other racers just around us. I wondered if this was all of them, or if there were more already that far ahead of me that I didn’t even see them on this long out-and-back section.


Turns out it was to be the latter. I was further down than I had hoped at that moment, but I didn’t know that yet and my main goal was to catch Cam Hill of Arizona. At the bottom of the hill, he was still quite a distance ahead, but I was gaining steam and gave it 110% up the hill. I felt myself redlining and actually feeling better as I went up. I should have been able to hit that level and hold it much sooner in the race, but this was the only time I felt like I was able to go full-gas all day. I went into the zone and honed in on him until we entered the park. Until I was on his heels, I didn’t think I was going to catch him. Once I was right on him, he heard me and glanced back and I sensed he gave up the ghost to stay ahead of me. Around the corner leading to the home stretch along the waterfront, he slowed and I took the opportunity to keep my momentum and surged all the way to the line – I put 9 seconds on him in that short distance. It was at least a fun finish to what was otherwise a lackluster day. My run ended up being 38:49 on a tough course, but I had really expected a 36-something and really had ambitions for a 35-something.

I was happy it was done and all of the wondering how I would do and worry over my sinus/congestion situation was over. But, I was disappointed in the result. I wanted a top-10, not really for anything to add to my “career” or anything like that, but to put New Mexico in there. I think we do alright with the sport, but it’s hard to come up with the big result when you don’t travel to the big races very much. That takes time and patience, as well as experience and a bit of luck. It seems the less I travel, the worse I do once I do actually go on a trip to a race. I’m so tired of traveling away to races, though, so I doubt I’m going to do a whole lot better than that in the future. I think I’ll pass on it next year. It’s been a fun experiment for me, though. I went four times and grabbed 8th place in 2007. I felt like I struggled badly that day too, but ended up with a stellar run that moved me into the top-10 in only the last couple of kilometers, passing who else, but Cam Hill and Jonathan Krichev.

In the end, I managed to squeak out a 2:02:38, good for 17th place among the BOUS racers (20th overall including the "regular" Orange County Triathlon participants). I had hoped for a 1:58 or so and feel like I had that in me without the problems (read "excuses" =). Still, with the BOUS athletes there, there were 22 men who beat the old age-group course record, and 21 women beat the old female a-g course record. Matter of fact, the first female was only a few seconds off of the previous male course record!!! That goes to show you how tough that field is! (FYI, one of the women beat me by over 2 minutes on the run) So there is some consolation in the result...I just can't get over the fact that the first place guy did it in 1:52:50. That's SIX minutes faster than the pro/elite course record!


Thanks to all of you Triatomics folks for the well-wishes. It's always fun to race with all of you. I also need to REALLY, REALLY thank Dina for her support and efforts in keeping me out there. Any success I have now is due more to her than anything else in the equation! We'll both be out there again next year!

No comments: