Monday, June 29, 2009

Dirt Tri Race Report

Dirt tri in Albuquerque was this Sunday! We were lucky to have Clay's godparents watching Mila which meant no crazy early wake up for her and plenty of time to ourselves pre-race. Happens so rarely now I didnt know what to do with it!
Another huge plus was that Clay is quite into off-road tris this summer and wanted to fit in at least 3 to get a USAT ranking in off-road. Sounds easy to us 'road tri' people, but off-road tris arent as easy to come by, which means more travel and consequently more stress scheduling each with the whole family. Plus, my mtn biking is in serious need of work so I cant really participate in most off -road tris with Clay which does take the family fun out of it. Hence the ideal dirt tri - near by and simple enough for even Dina's mtn bike skills AND a babysitter to allow us both to do it - WOHOO!

On to the race - it was on the grounds of the Albq Academy private school. I've never been at one and this one is nicer than most university grounds I've experienced - wow! Since this is all fenced off, its well protected from any traffic - great for any first timers and kids in particular!

The start was interesting, 100yard mass dash to bikes layed out near the mount line. Well, ok, for some of us, not so much a 'dash' as a limpy jog in your bike shoes through lumpy grass, slippery cement and sandy dirt. Dont think I care for this start, but definitely interesting to try. Once I got to the bikes I realized I wasnt sure exactly where I layed mine down- seemed to be the case for some others too as they were running from bike to bike looking! Thank goodness for the bright red sides on my bike seat!

Anyway, off on the bike which started with a few hundred yards of pavement - ech! hate pavement with mtn bike tires! Anyway, I started biking like I'm used to in a tri and wondering what the heck the others are doing dawdling. Not that I'm that fast at all, but the biking style and general feeling was nothing like a road tri. Guess those off-road people are different. No one was even trying to breathe hard - I slowed down to make sure I wasnt missing something. Then I figured that who cares and passed as many people as I could before we got on the 'dirt'.... and then my fear of sand and any other such unreliable surfaces to bike on kicked in nicely! After a few slippery moments and freak outs due to people all around me (!) it all got better. The first bit is mostly a gradual up which I'm perfectly happy with and I was still passing people.

Do note, this is the world's easiest off-road event. Any dramatization is due solely to the fact that I have a panic attack just thinking of any descent on even slightly sandy or gravely surface and it is further compounded with having people all around me with all the passing and avoiding! I can barely avoid bushes - moving people are a lot harder! :)

Anyway, biking uphill was nice and I realized that despite having mtn biked less than 10 times in the past 4 years and only 5 of them on this bike this is quite fun and the bike felt great! Thanks to Paul Graham Outfitters for my awesome Stumpjumper! Also, thanks to me for thinking to lock out the shocks - they were so not necessary and the bouncing was really annoying on the warm up. Anyway, the uphill ended as they all do and the downhill started (again, here is some Dina-dramatization: SANDY DOWNHILL! WITH TURNS AT BOTTOM! MASSIVE PANIC! PEOPLE COMING UP BEHIND ME AS I START BREAKING UNCONTROLLABLY! Wow, total fiasco! I all but let go of the steering assuming I'm about to seriously eat it in the bushes and I was trying to figure out which would be softer and then it all worked out - I guess 'letting the bike go" was the thing to do - YEAH! Amazingly I stayed up fine, although I was seriously hyperventilating and my hands were numb from the elbows down from squeezing so hard. Due to all this panic, the downhills were actually a lot more aerobically taxing for me than any uphills!

Then before the next downhill I calmed down enough to realize that these dirt bike wierdos really work the downhill! LIKE CRAZY! Good for them, but then it makes you wonder even more when they barely make it up the next hill, no matter how gentle and easy it may be - What The Heck?! Is it some unofficial off-road thing to not work at all on anything that's against gravity?! This strange difference in approach (and my breaking on the downhills which DID get better towards the end! :) resulted in HUGE yo-yoing between me about 25 people.

Once I got over the surprises the whole thing was a lot of fun! I didnt fall, but in a few really deep arroyos ended up having to dismount in the deeper sand pits. Not too bad. Finishign the bike was on the same pavement stretch and as I turned onto it Clay was already running on it (that means he is finishing his run!). He cheered for me (yay! :). Anyway, I biked into the transition wondering if I can do the run due to painfully strained muscle from the SnD earlier that week. I figured I was going to walk the run, so why rush - I waited for Clay to run into T2 and head into the pool with a ridiculous lead! WoHOO!

I started the run but letting everyone pass me and then realized that running isnt hurting as much as it was earlier! So I sped up and ended up passing some people back - not too bad when you were expecting to have to walk! :) Anyway, ran the rest of the run fine if very slowly, even tried to draft off a 9-year-old boy half the size of my right leg in a bad headwind. As you can imagine it was very helpful to me and gives you the idea of my overall speed and location in the race pack! :) Finally got to T2. Pretty fun so far!

Stripped down to the swimsuit - no small feat with being all sticky! and headed into the pool. Got to pass loads of people before I finished - with the swim last it's always a fun race for me! And Laury and Clay cheered for me - super YAY!

Great stuff. Called to check on Mila, she was all good, so we had to wait for awards (frikin Clay and his doing well! :) But then the total bummer part came. They decided to DQ Clay because he took a wrong turn on the course mainly due to the fact that he was so far ahead volunteers didnt make it to that intersection yet and so no one directed him. That bites. Really. Couldnt believe what a good sport Clay was about the whole thing. Said he understood and tried to make Patrick feel better about having to deliver bad news and then thanked him again for a great event. Didnt complain once even after we left and it was just me and him. Gotta love him! :))))) I was REALLY bummed but since he was being so cool and positive I figured I'd better hold my whining in. Plus, we dont have to stick around for awards now so we can go get Mila sooner. Gotta focus on the positive! :)

Now Clay doesnt have three off-road tris and the next one he can do overlaps with Socorro which is closer, we both can do and love to support! So he will likely stick to doing Socorro instead. ARGH!

In view of this I was thinking that things (events etc) are always aimed at the middle of the pack. You cant help that. So now I realize when someone is reviewing an event is important to know hwere they were in the race - front? middle? last? I'm usually middle and from that perspective this Dirt Tri was very racer friendly and well organized. However, I've been completely DFL before - xc ski race marathon. I was just starting the second half of it when they packed away all aid stations - every single one and later realized it and left a cup and a GU out for me in the snow at the last few - I was almost crying the whole last 3 miles. Then when I finished the finishline was already put away and the race dir was saying "that's all for the bbq and the raffle, thanks for coming, everyone!" You can imagine my race review wouldnt have been most positive even though I know I was crazy slow by all 'middle of pack' expectations.

I also got lucky to lead a race once - ok, not in real time, but it was a TT start with swim first and I was well by myself through most of the swim. Aside from the excitement it was also a royal pain - when I tried to turn the last bouy the kayaker volunteer grabbed on to my suit and wouldnt let me turn to shore thinking I have to do another lap because they didnt realize I was leading. That was a fun little fight. Then on the bike I had no one to follow and lets just say course marking shouldnt EVER be commented on by people who have a few dozen other racers to follow. I had to turn around twice because the volunteers (and more frighteningly: police and traffic control!) apparently dont get their stuff together until the first few racers get them ready by getting lost (hopefully just lost and not getting hit by cars!). Lovely! While I did enjoy the lead car (it was late, but did finally arrive and lead me in on the way back) I certainly had a whole lot more respect for anyone leading the race - its downright dangerous for them! This is another reason I'm such a controlling b*tch when it comes to directing/organizing lead car/police stuff on Atomic Man race day!

Anyway, based on that, it still really bums me out the Dirt Tri went with the DQ. Again, more kudos to my fantastic husband who complimented the race the whole time and still is - what a great sport and a great role model for Mila!
...And I do highly recommend the event, particularly as your first off-road - lots of fun both the course and afterwards (they had sub sandwiches and homemade cookies and a live band for awards!). And for those who get nervous about the crowds in the pool - this is your race - no crowds! They use two pools so people only have to do each lane once and this isnt a huge race, a combination which makes for clean easy passing/getting passed without much clustering or stress.

No comments: