Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Back at it...

I was pretty tired after the Storrie Lake Tri, but not as bad as I had expected.  We had a neighborhood party to get to once I got home, so I figured I'd just be hammered on Monday.  I was pleasantly surprised to not be so bad, but I did get a lot of headrushes and had to be outside for my work a lot (I'm a project manager for our county municipal utility department).  It was a busy day, but I did get a quick swim in just after work, right before having to rush over to Mila's pre-school to get her before they called child services.  No, I made it before the "overtime" charges start, but just barely.  Then, I felt tired.

We were so tired in the evening, and the kids just didn't want to get to sleep.  That is when all of this extracurricular triathlon stuff gets tough.  I have to step back sometimes and be sure it's not taking away from my family.  When I think it is, then I back off.  There are times when I get selfish and head out for a long training session, but those are getting few and far between now.  It is mostly quickie 45 minutes to 1.5 hour sessions.  Luckily, most races are only around 2 hours.  I'll have to figure something out before the two long races later this year.

We had our Tuesday night time trial tonight.  It was again quite breezy (unfavorably), dry, and "hot" for Los Alamos.  We used to get some cool evenings with some moisture starting about now, but dry, warm, and windy has been the rule more often than not these past 3 or 4 years.  Ugh, I'm tired of it.  I could go for a month of rain about now.

The TT went better than the two previous ones.  I had to change my gears on the back.  I was trying to use my "in shape, tough guy gears" before, but I put on a much easier cog for the climb out of the canyon this evening.  It worked.  I didn't turn into a mess of lactic acid so badly and had something to give on the rollers from the ski hill turn-off to the finish at the back gate.  I didn't have the big-11, but with the headwind, I didn't really need it.  If our conditions get more favorable, I'll put the tough-guy gears back on.

Great to see people turning out.  The "nooner" (as Dina likes to call it =) is also well attended.  Great job to all of you.  I'll get the results posted here and on the email lists sometime tomorrow, I hope.  I'm in charge of that nasty construction project (among other things) in the Western Area, so I'm not as on top of things as I would like to be.

But, life is good and I can't complain.

Get registered and get to training for the rest of the open water series races!  The course at City of Lakes is just so AWESOME!  You all gotta go do it if you can!

No comments: