Sunday, November 7, 2010

Cold Water Swim Survival Techniques

As some of you know, I have had a few challenges recently with swimming in cold water at triathlons. Last year, I discovered that 64-degree water induced asthma for me. Although more of a confident than fast swimmer, I was a bit weirded out by this. So, over the last year, I have spent a fair bit of time researching and testing techniques for surviving cold water swimming that I thought I would share in the event that cold water challenges others, too.

An inhaler with Ventolin: Use this right before cold water swims. You will need a prescription for it. It opens up the lungs when the cold water wants to shut them down.


Neoprene sleeves: If you have a sleeveless wetsuit, like I do, you can get neoprene sleeves from Quintana Roo so you don’t have to buy another wet suit.


Neoprene cap: This cap will give you an especially dorky look with the groovy chin strap, but it works really well. Just put the latex or silicone race cap right over top.


Ear plugs: Seems that if you keep the cold water out of your ears it keeps you warmer and prevents vertigo—another cold water induced affliction.


Rash guard shirt: These are worn by surfers and you can get thermal shirts that are made of a fleece-type fabric. If you wear them under your wet suit, it really helps keep body heat in--mine is made by Dakine.


Bengay: I have put this on all exposed skin and, unfortunately, it seems to wash off fairly quickly, but it helps keep you warm before the race if the air temperature is cold. It's a little strange, but I have even put this on my face and it actually works well for the initial stage of cold-water swimming when you just can’t seem to get your face in the water. Be sure to wash it all off either during or after the swim as any residual feels weird on your face during the bike.


Hand Warmers: I came up with this one on my own…take disposable, air activated, hand warmers that you would otherwise use in your gloves while skiing and put them in little zip lock bags (double bag, just in case). I put one in the back pocket of my tri suit and the other between the dorky neoprene cap and the race cap. This works amazingly well. Be sure to have a pocket of air in the zip lock bag or the exothermic oxidation reaction is quenched when all the oxygen in the baggie is used up. The hand warmer instructions say not to put them directly against your skin. This is well advised as they tend to get quite warm.


Drink lots of fluids before the swim: It takes about an hour or so before you will need to “release” any beverages you have consumed. This may be nasty, but it really warms you up. Just keep swimming.


I was out at Cochiti Lake this weekend for my last swim-bike-run brick of the season and the water temperature was 58 degrees. I used every one of my cold-water survival techniques and was able to swim adequately with no asthma. Success.

Hope this was helpful. If you know any other techniques for cold water swimming, please share.

2 comments:

Cyndi said...

Thanks so much for your post! I am a severe asthmatic (allergic, exercise induced, and cold induced) and was very fearful of my upcoming cold water swim at Ironman St. George. I've had to take prescription drugs for asthma since I was 2 years old, so I will definitely be taking my inhaler before the start . But, I still worried because my lungs could shut down easily in the amount of time I'll spend in the water. I hadn't thought of the hand warmer trick. Awesome! Thank you.

Ingrid Loos Miller said...

This is a terrific post.....I teach the Fearless Swimming Open Water Course for Triathletes and I tell them all of this. Just a point of clarification for readers, the "thermal rash guard" should be made of plyopropelene which manages to provide warmth and insulation even in water. Also, the long sleeves can make you feel quite compressed in the shoulder so consider a sleeveless rash guard or remove the sleeves. In any event, practice swimming with the whole get up several times to make sure you are comfy in the added layers...also, WTC allows booties.swim socks in water under 65 degrees. Make sure they fit pretty well and are secure at the ankle. Finally, you can purchase fancy warmers that are made for SCUBA divers, reusable, work fine in water-come in various sizes. ...thanks again for the great post!

Ingrid Miller
Fearless Swimming